Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Drunk bum!

Ok, so the first post was depressing. I thought I would post a funny one tonight.

So I was doing a ride along with a friend on South West Ambulance in downtown SLC and the page goes of for a man down... aka drunk bum passed out somewhere. We go to the address that was paged out and we can't see anyone anywhere. We look around for like 5 minutes. We even call dispatch and make sure we have the right address. We did....

I look over in the bushes and all I can see is the bottom of a shoe. This guy had passed out in the bushes and was so close to being completely hidden. Had he just pulled his foot back about an inch he would have been golden and gotten a full nights sleep and not gotten woken up by 3 EMTs and 4 cops.

Since I was the only girl all the guys thought it would be funny to "let me deal with him". Thanks guys... So I wake him up and he has NO idea what's going on. Because we got called to him we had to make sure he was medically ok before we could let him go... and as long as he walked away on his own he wouldn't be arrested. I had to get a blood pressure, blood sugar, and ask him questions to make sure he knew who he was and wasn't completely crazy.

This poor old guy had the hardest time standing up he was so drunk. I put the blood pressure cuff on him and started pumping it up... he FREAKED. He said I was trying to kill him it hurt so bad. (all the guys are trying to hold back their laughter in the background at this point) I finally get a blood pressure and one of the EMTs remind me to get his blood sugar... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? he freaked with a blood pressure cuff... how is he going to handle a finger stick? He didn't handle it well. He started cursing at me and saying how horrible a person I was. (at this point all the guys are laughing hysterically in the background). In between telling me how horrible of a person I was he was hitting on me and asking me out on dates....

Finally one of the cops felt bad for throwing me to the wolves and steps up and helps me finish up. I couldn't even get a band aid on the guys finger he was not handling the little poke in his finger very well. I asked him where he was gonna go.. He told me AA meetings. Funniest part was we were less than 50 feet away from an AA meeting house. He made me walk him to the door "to make sure he made it safe". He told me while walking him to AA "because you are so pretty I am going to change my life around so I can marry you"... I got teased the rest of the shift by all the guys about flirting with the drunk bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment